Terror Danjah isn’t a household name, he’s not as well known as Wiley or Dizzee Rascal, but he’s considered by the grime cognoscenti to be the best grime producer ever.
Originally part of the Nasty Crew and then Aftershock, Terror has released countless 12"s and remixes as well as several mixtapes.
Planet Mu are proud to be linking up with Terror to release a compilation of his instrumental productions entitled "Gremlinz"
The title of the album is a reference to the Gremlin cackle Terror uses as an audio-logo to indicate a Terror Danjah production, much like Timbaland’s singing/beat boxing on his early productions.
However, the comparison with Timbaland doesn’t stop there, both producers worked with a signature palate of sounds, adding to them occasionally, which make their productions instantly recognisable. Both producers use shifting, syncopated rhythms. What makes Terror different was that he’s British, he works around the tempo of 140 bpm, and his music is part of the aggressive post-garage movement of grime.
Terror also worked with both mcs and vocalists, from Nasty Crew, Skepta, Wiley, to Shystie, Shola Ama and now Mz Bratt, he worked with the best mcs in the game when grime was the most exciting music around.
These tracks were mostly issued on limited vinyl releases on the Aftershock label, as either instrumental tracks for mcs to clash over and djs to play or as backing for mcs and singers. If you want to hear a precursor to Joker, and the new Bristol producers, here it is. Despite the pared down palette he uses, Terror’s productions are full of brilliant ideas, complex rhythms and pop hooks and until now, despite being lauded by those in the know, he’s been underappreciated. This collection of his instrumentals, remixes and tracks for others, is a good chance to show off his singular genius to the rest of the world.
Power Grid E.P.
Jul 12, 2010
Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
Sep 28, 2009
Mary Anne Hobbs
Oct 30, 2006
Industry Standard Part 4
Aug 31, 2009
- Four Track Mind
- My Love Is A Bulldozer
- The Seer Of Cosmic Visions
- Hyper Feet
- Da Mind Of Traxman Vol.2
- Zero Hour
- John Wizards
- Chewed Corners
- Lusaka By Night
- Weird Drift
- Rain (ft. Vezelay)
- Love & Devotion
- Flight Muzik Reloaded
- Somerset Avenue Tracks (1992-1995)
- Oct 24, 2014 - Ekoplekz at Cave12 (Geneva)
- Nov 01, 2014 - Venetian Snares at Muziek-O-Droom (Hasselt)
- Nov 05, 2014 - Venetian Snares at Marche Gare (Lyon)
- Nov 06, 2014 - Venetian Snares at Le Pub ADK (Roissy-En-Brie)
- Nov 07, 2014 - Ekoplekz at Corsica Studios (London)
- Nov 07, 2014 - Venetian Snares at Le Zoo (Geneva)
- Nov 07, 2014 - Ital at Distorted Club (Warsaw)
- Nov 08, 2014 - Mr. Mitch at Rye Wax, Peckham (London)
- Nov 08, 2014 - Venetian Snares at Marble Factory (Bristol)
- Nov 08, 2014 - Ital at Rewire Fest (The Hague)