Pritch & Trim - Stereotype
Reviewed by Holly Dicker Source: (Resident Advisor)
What do you get when you cross a genre-hopping electronic producer with an ex-member of Roll Deep? No, this isn't a joke, but Stereotype—the tongue-in-cheek debut from Mark Pritchard and MC Trim—might just draw a snigger or two. Grime seems like the last territory to be touched by the West Countryman who has dabbled in everything from ambient electronic (Global Communication) to spacey hip-hop (Harmonic 33) and whatever you might call the back-to-the-future bass duo Africa HiTech. As for Trim, real name Javan St. Prix, the MC has hopped ship from grime, landing in dubstep, garage and even pop via collaborations with the likes of Skream, Mumdance and Riva Starr.
With this in mind, the two coming together makes perfect sense, though it would have been difficult to anticipate either's approach. In "Stereotype" Trim delivers all the wit and wordplay that sets him apart from most MCs. Matched with a bounding hip-hop beat and jovial, carnival-esque melody from Pritchard, his ambiguous message wears a comic mask. "Kiss My Arse" on the other hand is a crystal clear "I don't give a shit" to the grime community. But where Pritchard dominates the relay on "Stereotype," here Trim prevails. And, though muted, the dancehall underlay proves vital in diluting the grime-narcissism in Trim's reprisal, assisted further by the rapper's unusually languid style. Pritchard's instrumental offerings allow for a deeper appreciation of the detail in the production work—like the subtle bridge of strings in "Stereotype" and the tiers of soundbites that make up "Kiss My Arse." However, lacking the personality of Trim, both are just beautifully polished shells. He makes this a grime record, though not in a stereotypical sense.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row