Reviewed by Ronald Fritze Source: (Playground)
Before “The Dissolve” reaches the stores –write down the date: 25th April– the fourth album by Barry Lynn, “Allele”, comes with clear intentions of marking the territory and warning that the Northern Irish producer will not be caught out by any faux pas. With the material of “Arecibo Message” (2009) he gave the impression that the buzz he’d managed to maintain since the days of “Oneiric” (2006) –that space between dubstep and IDM that made him Planet Mu’s most ad hoc signing at the time– was fading a bit, but if the tone of the album is on par with this 12”, all bets are off. “Allele” will be on the LP: a construction of dynamic breaks and bright textures in the vein of Boxcutter’s second long-player, “Glyphic”, where his rhythmic strategy seemed to be drawing a slow and panoramic kind of drum’n’bass.
He does the same thing here –the breaks move in time and space on a rhythmic journey not to be missed– but with the bass frequencies more present, giving the track more weight and force. On the flipside is “Other People”: the breaks become more translucent, although its psychedelic sensation remains intact, implemented by the abuse of synths and atmospheric passages reminiscent of the golden age of Detroit. Yet it doesn’t sound like Carl Craig – it sounds like Boxcutter, a man who has had an inimitable style of his own for years.
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify