FaltyDL – You Stand Uncertain review
Reviewed by Matt Anniss Source: (Juno Plus)
The title of Drew ‘FaltyDL’ Lustman’s sophomore album could easily be a cheeky swipe at genre-obsessed reviewers; it’s true that many have found it hard to categorize his far-sighted take on electronic music. While firmly rooted in dubstep and electronica, Lustman’s music has always taken in a dizzying array of musical influences. Add to this a skip-load worth of great ideas and a distinctive production sound that marks out dance music’s greats, and it’s easy to see why Lustman’s music has got critics in a spin.
On “You Stand Uncertain”, he’s stepped up his game. If anything, he’s cast his net even wider, throwing two-step garage, UK funky, jazz, ambient, slow house, old fashioned rave and ARP 101-ish synth jams into his musical melting pot. It still sounds like a FaltyDL record (those weird slowed-down vocal samples, quaint musical touches and sneaky cut-ups are still present), but it feels like he’s moved from standard definition into glorious, crystal clear HD.
Aside from the usual array of brilliant instrumentals – check the floor-friendly future rave anthem “Lucky Luciano”, two-step rinse-out “Tell Them Stories”, 808 State-sampling “Open Space” or picturesque slow house bliss of “Tell Them Stories” – Lustman has included his first full vocal outings. These are invariably excellent, with the opening and closing tracks – “Gospel of Opal”, featuring Anelka, and “Waiting Patiently”, featuring Lily McKenzie – perfectly demonstrating his ability to write next-level, emotion-rich electronic music. The other Lily McKenzie collab, “Brazil”, is thrillingly upbeat. From start to finish, You Stand Uncertain is a delight to listen to. For the most part, the music is nothing less than stunning.
- Last Step - You're A Nice Girl
- Dolphin & The Teknoist - Soul Cannibal / Closing Down
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol V
- Kyler - Pur Cosy Tales
- Hellfish - One Man Sonic Attack Force
- Virus Syndicate - The Work-Related Illness
- Virus Syndicate - Slow Down
- Shitmat - The Lesser Spotted Burberry EP
- Bizzy B - Science EP Volumes III + IV
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol IV
- Exile - Pro Agonist
- Vex'd - Degenerate
- Vex'd - Gunman
- John B & Exile - Broken Language
- Mark One - One Way
- Venetian Snares & Bong-Ra - 4 Adaptations Of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Ed Lawes - 14 Tracks/Pieces
- Eight Frozen Modules - DJ, Riddim & Source E.P.
- dDamage - Pressure
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol III
- Hawerchuk - Camel Toe
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest