FaltyDL – You Stand Uncertain
Reviewed by Adam Lacey Source: (I heart AU)
New York producer Drew Lustman has gone on record saying he “lost his mind” on this, his second LP. If he did, then may all our mental breakdowns sound as assured as You Stand Uncertain. There are a multitude of influences here, from skittery garage to Aphex, Luke Vibert, Zomby… you name it.
Opener ‘Gospel of Opal’ features Anneka on vocals and takes you on a hazy dance trip with a dizzying beat and washing synths in the background. ‘Open Space’ has a distinctive rave vibe, if slightly lo-fi, but ends up all over the place with tribal rhythms hinting at some of that personal trauma Lustman went through. Towards the middle, the title track boasts a punishing beat with Burial-esque vocals intimidating the bass, while ‘Lucky Luciano’ is a phatter and fatter affair with a welcome brutalism showcasing yet another aspect to FaltyDL’s talent. ‘Tell Them Stories’ becomes an awesome, body-popping track that needs dank red lights and basement cocktails to gain full effect.
This is an electronic album that doesn’t mess around, taking you on a real head-trip and covering a lot of bases with plenty of bass. Hopefully Lustman can keep his head together to keep creating
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row