You Stand Uncertain
Reviewed by Ben Gomori Source: (Data Transmission)
Given how stunning recent single Hip Love was, New York producer FaltyDL’s second album has a hell of a lot to live up to in terms of his current form. The aforementioned track might be absent and perhaps nothing on here quite reaches its magnificent heights, but FaltyDL’s second best is still vastly superior to most producers’ zenith.
That’s a bit of a harsh way to start off I guess, so please don’t let it put you off. This is a fine piece of work, bolstered together by the NYC resident’s intricate beats and smokey, engrossing sounds. The album kicks off with the almost Lamb-esque, shimmering beauty of Gospel Of Opal, singer Anneka’s delicate delivery making an ideal match for our host’s hazy, warm soundscape.
The garage bump and soulful vocals of Lily McKenzie on Brazil are all filtered through the prism of deep, atmospheric-ness, like if Burial made music that was a bit more dancefloor-focused perhaps. Indeed, it’s in these more energetically-rhythmed moments that the album truly comes alive: Eight Eighteen Ten’s rolling snare chatter and electro-jazz synths morphing into rude-bassed broken beat, You Stand Uncertain’s brooding bass and 808-style chatter, Lucky Luciano’s indulgence of his rave infatuation and almost juke-like beats and Tell Them Stories’ straight-up bubbling.
The downbeat moments are not without their charm but largely leave less of a lasting impression. But perhaps they are necessary interludes to break the album up, and therein Voyager is an album highlight, a gorgeous deep cut laden with analog charm and sexy percussive rhythms, colourful melancholy melody. Get this album, give it a good few listens and allow its warm caress to become a good friend – repeated exposure is most certainly required.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days