Oriol – Coconut Coast
Reviewed by Sam Constable Source: (City Lifers)
Keeping them coming thick and fast, Planet Mu shoots out the next bright star into the sky, Oriol. Real name Oriol Singhji, this latest addition to the planet Mu team originated from Barcelona and now resides between London and Cambridge. This EP sees his debut on the late, propped up firmly by reworks of Faulty DL, Shortstuff & Jake Slazenger.
Oriol’s approach is somewhere between 70s exploits of legends such has Herbie Hancock and Stevie
Oriol – Coconut Coast review
Reviewed by Belinda Rowse Source: (Juno Plus)
The Cambridge to London-via-Barcelona producer takes two tracks from his forthcoming critically acclaimed album ‘Night & Day’ (due out 19th July) and gets Falty DL, Planet Mu head honcho Jake Slazenger, and garage/funk/2-stepper, Shortstuff in on the remix/refix treatment to whet the appetite and add a little je ne sais quois to the proceedings.
The exotically evocative “Coconut Coast” appears as the opener to the EP, in all its humming,
Oriol - Coconut Coast
Reviewed by Andrew Ryce Source: (Resident Advisor)
The music of UK-via-Barcelona producer Oriol sits blissfully unaware somewhere between funk, jazz, house and, erm, chillwave, and it's just a little bit conflicting. Is it refreshing to be so independent of externally-imposed context, or is it just destined to be ignored by a world obsessed with classification and categorization? Regardless of the answer, it's intriguing to note that Oriol's home is Planet Mu, an English label once focusing on IDM and
Oriol: ‘Coconut Coast’
Reviewed by Tom Lea Source: (Fact Magazine)
OK, so the way people have been using the word “tropical” in UK dance music circles over the last year is pretty weak. Once a default genre name on myspace, it’s become a buzzword for house music with syncopated drums, polyrhythm or just general summer vibes – think tunes by Doc Daneeka, Hackman, Julio Bashmore and other people who probably find the tropical name equally silly themselves. But I digress.
Oriol is another alumni of
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row