Oriol – Coconut Coast review
Reviewed by Belinda Rowse Source: (Juno Plus)
The Cambridge to London-via-Barcelona producer takes two tracks from his forthcoming critically acclaimed album ‘Night & Day’ (due out 19th July) and gets Falty DL, Planet Mu head honcho Jake Slazenger, and garage/funk/2-stepper, Shortstuff in on the remix/refix treatment to whet the appetite and add a little je ne sais quois to the proceedings.
The exotically evocative “Coconut Coast” appears as the opener to the EP, in all its humming, singing, chiming and cooing glory; it’s a textured and experimental venture, showing Oriol Singhji’s evident prowess as a producer. With his impressive and wide-ranging spectrum of musical influences – from Detroit techno through electronica to house and even further afield to D&B and dubstep, the new Planet Mu signing should definitely be on the radar for discerning music fans from across the board. Falty DL then teases “Coconut Coast” into an altogether different shape; his interpretation is more tense, with a greater emphasis on the hazy vocal element and pared down rhythms.
“Memories” – another teaser from ‘Night & Day’ – is up next. Transformed into a simmering slice of rumbling bliss with overtones of UK funky by Jake Slazenger, the shuddering b-line and shimmering, glass-y tones add a certain poignancy to the mix. Shortstuff’s focus, on the other hand, is on the pervasive drone, the clapping beats and high pitched, distorted vocals which create a frantic ecstasy to the clink-beep 2 step tones which predominate throughout. A great way to round the EP off.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days