Mrs Jynx Shark Carousel
Reviewed by Alan Ranta Source: (Exclaim)
Any fan of ambient house will recall the first time they heard the Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld. The second album by Manchester's Hannah Davidson (aka Mrs Jynx) will be that kind of landmark album for a new generation. The deceptively intelligent Shark Carousel builds on the early '90s sound of Jynx's debut. There's a little more emphasis on lower frequencies and slightly more upbeat arrangements, but all the femininity, sensitivity and joy that made 2008's The Standoffish Cat so endearing are intact. Traces of big beat, break beat and even old school drum & bass influences can be heard prominently throughout the record, while her programming has advanced in complexity and richness. Shark Carousel carves off a corner of the electronic realm that is clearly Mrs. Jynx's.
- DJ Diamond - Flight Muzik
- Machinedrum - Room(s)
- Pritch & Trim - Stereotype
- Tropics - Parodia Flare
- Anti-G - Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz'
- Various - Ghettoteknitianz E.P.
- Kuedo - Severant
- Chrissy Murderbot - Women's Studies
- Boxcutter - The Dissolve
- NastyNasty - No Names
- FaltyDL - You Stand Uncertain
- Chrissy Murderbot - Bussin Down
- Boxcutter - Allele
- Various - Bangs & Works Vol.1
- DJ Roc - The Crack Capone
- Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In
- Various - 14 Tracks From Planet Mu
- DJ Spinn - Man I Do It EP
- DJ Rashad - Itz Not Rite
- Numan - Race Against Time
- Ital Tek - Midnight Colour
- DJ Nate - Da Trak Genious
- Tropics - Soft Vision E.P.
- Mrs Jynx - Shark Carousel