Kuedo: Dream Sequence EP
Reviewed by Mike Burn Source: (Fact Magazine)
This EP from Jamie Vex’d’s new incarnation sees the logical continuation of the style he first introduced with his rapturous remix of Scuba’s ‘Twitch’.
Lead track ‘Starfox’ pummels out dangerous shards of bass energy and synth sweeps as it gallops along angularly. It’s like a hyperfunked John Carpenter soundtracking an assault on a video game arcade. Or, imagine the opening sequence of Bladerunner, careering into a carnival of technicolour.
‘Shutter Light Girl’ is another highlight, only diminished by its brevity; an evocative and blissful piece that illustrates Jamie’s competence in both composition and sound design. ‘Joy Construction’ bubbles melodically, driven by a choir of synth voices, punctuated with blippy flourishes and bouncing with undeniable groove. With slouched rhythm and stuttering bass, ‘Glow’ moves momentously with seductive female vocals buried in the mix before closing with a wash of filters and effects, concluding the EP and leaving an otherworldly afterglow.
Expect exciting things to come from Kuedo. Squelch with substance, light years ahead of the swathes of off kilter bass buffoonery currently so ubiquitous.
- The Doubtful Guest - Acid Sauna
- Barry Lynn - Balancing Lakes
- Tom Burbank - Famous First Words
- The Gasman - Audiogold
- Boxcutter - Glyphic
- Frog Pocket - Come On Primates Show Your Teeth!
- µ-Ziq - Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique
- Luke Vibert - Chicago,Detroit,Redruth
- Various - 2OO
- Luke Vibert - Mate Tron
- Syntheme - Vol.1
- Ra - Ev.Panic Redone
- Shitmat - Grooverider
- Neil Landstrumm - Restaurant Of Assassins
- Venetian Snares - Pink+Green
- MRK1 - Copyright Laws
- Milanese - Adapt
- Last Step - Last Step
- Distance - My Demons
- Julian Fane - Our New Quarters
- The Gasman - Love Collection
- Distance - Fallen (Vex'd Remix)
- FFF - The Feeling
- Distance - Traffic