Reviewed by Ben Murphy Source: (Fact Magazine)
Someone’s slipped something freaky into Ikonika’s crunk juice. Or at least that’s how it seems on new cut ‘Smuck’, which sees the Hyperdub regular releasing on Planet Mu for the first time. Taking a leaf out of Joker’s purple G-funk book, then scribbling mad psychedelic synth doodles all over it, this is dubstep viewed through a Dirty South, Herbie Hancock-on-blotters fisheye lens. Insane and impossible to categorise, then.
The flipside sees her remixing Finnish Skweee sensation Eero Johannes to within an inch of his life; like an ultra-vivid, neon-bright garage shuffle in pixelated form, ’We Could Be Ikons’ has Ikonika ditching the slower pace of her steppers material, and going for the jugular with bleeps, squeaks and naïve melodies redolent of Super Mario and Yoshi sipping Cristal down Twice As Nice.
A pair of wildly inventive cuts that show another side of Ikonika, ‘Smuck’ and ‘We Could Be Ikons’ are a perfectly-formed double header.
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify