Reviewed by Ben Murphy Source: (Fact Magazine)
Someone’s slipped something freaky into Ikonika’s crunk juice. Or at least that’s how it seems on new cut ‘Smuck’, which sees the Hyperdub regular releasing on Planet Mu for the first time. Taking a leaf out of Joker’s purple G-funk book, then scribbling mad psychedelic synth doodles all over it, this is dubstep viewed through a Dirty South, Herbie Hancock-on-blotters fisheye lens. Insane and impossible to categorise, then.
The flipside sees her remixing Finnish Skweee sensation Eero Johannes to within an inch of his life; like an ultra-vivid, neon-bright garage shuffle in pixelated form, ’We Could Be Ikons’ has Ikonika ditching the slower pace of her steppers material, and going for the jugular with bleeps, squeaks and naïve melodies redolent of Super Mario and Yoshi sipping Cristal down Twice As Nice.
A pair of wildly inventive cuts that show another side of Ikonika, ‘Smuck’ and ‘We Could Be Ikons’ are a perfectly-formed double header.
- DJ Diamond - Flight Muzik
- Machinedrum - Room(s)
- Pritch & Trim - Stereotype
- Tropics - Parodia Flare
- Anti-G - Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz'
- Various - Ghettoteknitianz E.P.
- Kuedo - Severant
- Chrissy Murderbot - Women's Studies
- Boxcutter - The Dissolve
- NastyNasty - No Names
- FaltyDL - You Stand Uncertain
- Chrissy Murderbot - Bussin Down
- Boxcutter - Allele
- Various - Bangs & Works Vol.1
- DJ Roc - The Crack Capone
- Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In
- Various - 14 Tracks From Planet Mu
- DJ Spinn - Man I Do It EP
- DJ Rashad - Itz Not Rite
- Numan - Race Against Time
- Ital Tek - Midnight Colour
- DJ Nate - Da Trak Genious
- Tropics - Soft Vision E.P.
- Mrs Jynx - Shark Carousel