Reviewed by Melissa Bradshaw
Distances fascination with the dark and the charged originates in his metal fandom, making him somewhat idiosyncratic among dubstep producers. The taut, controlled plat on the tensions between a relatively small palette of sounds-b-line kick and snares, rarely more than a few other lines at any one time, and only sampled vocals-is both the strength and limit of 'My Demons'.
The title track is a classic, with a post Digital Mystikz skank, a bass
Reviewed by Vice
Distance's debut at FWD>> in December was like a breath of fresh air amid the half-steps and wobbles of a scene that could easily fall into formula. The reason this works is that it sounds like an album, not a load of 12"s. Put it like this: who remembers 'Molten Beats'? Bet you remeber 'Timeless' though.
Reviewed by One Week To Live
Evolving from the darker 2-step stylings of Oris Jay, El-B, Zed Bias, Artwork, Horsepower and co. at the turn of the century, as the UK garage movement floundered, and ultimately sunk, amid the choppy seas of shiny MTV Bass culture, Dubstep is making serious waves at the moment (at least if column inches are a good judge of popularity?) The thing is, despite a handful of good compilations, dubstep long players are few and far between. One of the
Reviewed by FACT
Rinse FM's Distance posseses basslines so thick and treacly that they'd probably suffocate you if you turned this up loud enough. His debut album is an uncomprimising journey through the doom and boom of his minimal, haunting dubstep. Like Skream, Distance has a penchant for broken shards of melody, making this a record that should appeal to a broader audience.
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up