Reviewed by One Week To Live
Evolving from the darker 2-step stylings of Oris Jay, El-B, Zed Bias, Artwork, Horsepower and co. at the turn of the century, as the UK garage movement floundered, and ultimately sunk, amid the choppy seas of shiny MTV Bass culture, Dubstep is making serious waves at the moment (at least if column inches are a good judge of popularity?) The thing is, despite a handful of good compilations, dubstep long players are few and far between. One of the scenes biggest names, Skream, dropped his debut LP last year alongside those of Kode 9 & The Space Ape and Burial. All three albums gamered critical acclaim. This year, with Digital Mystikz seemingly content to stick to 12"s and their DMZ dance, Distance is poised to make a good impression with 'My Demons', released on Mike Paradinas' Planet Mu imprint. Like Vex'd, Distance makes the kind of eerie, cinematic electronic music that wrpas you up like a python before the basslines slowly suffocate you to death. It sounds unpleasant, but (call me perverted) it's actually quite an enjoyable listen. Distance clearly knows how to get the most from equipment, and so, despite this being an entire album of half-time dubstep and Distance's inventive basslines consistently surprise and entertain. The track that first pricked up the ears of Mr Paradinas is here - 'Traffic' - and it buzzes with all the menace of a swarm of killer bees, admirably referencing Distance's heavy metal influences. Also present are 'Mistral' (revolving around a tight, bubbling b-line); 'Fractured' and 'Ska' (which revive meories of Ed Rush and Optical's techy neurofunk sound circa 'Wormhole'); and 'Cella', 'My Demons' and 'Delight' which tread that line between eerie and soothing.
Check this for sure.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row