Reviewed by almostcool.org (almostcool.org)
Extend is the debut album from Milanese and it's easily one of the deepest, darkest albums I've heard in some time. A sand-blasted mixture of dubstep, grime, crunchy IDM, and hip-hop, it's a thunderous release full of crushing low-end, layer upon layer of distorted beats, fractured vocals, and basically some real raw nastiness nearly all the way around. With ten tracks running roughly forty minutes, it's one of those short albums that's gives a quick
"...Gritty beats, sick basslines, loads of distortions, noisy moments; not too fast nor too slow, i.e. it's not breakcore nor dubstep, but it has both raw power and a high head-nod factor..."
Reviewed by luca maini (igloomag.com)
Absolutely the most anticipated album of the year for me. Since the release of 1 Up I've been waiting for more, and even if it's only a mere 40-minute album, in Extend there's pretty much everything I love in electronic music. Gritty beats, sick basslines, loads of distortions, noisy moments; not too fast nor too slow, i.e. it's not breakcore nor dubstep, but it has both raw power and a high head-nod factor. It's like an updated version of Speedy J's
Reviewed by Ian Roullier (Clash magazine)
All genres come with a musical blueprint that can serve to restrict and confine all but the steeliest artists. This applies to everything from identikit indie to formulaic dance fodder where music by numbers becomes the order of the day and creativity suffocates beneath boundaries and expectations.
Steve Milanese is one artist with enough strength to disregard any such rules, producing the music he wants to in the way he sees fit. His full debut
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row