Reviewed by Rockrolla
Lush synths, strings, beats, high pitched processed vocals and a gentle touch from the Vancouver-based Fane, with just enough post-rock melancholy to raiseit from the clutches neither-here-nor-there ennui. The missing link between Anticon and Radiohead.
Reviewed by The Wire
Julian Fane is a singer-songwriter from Vancouver, Canada whose vision is epic, sprawling and dreamlike. 'Our New Quarters' is the natural follow-up to 2004's 'Special Forces', only this time his high pitched vocal is the more prominent instrument. While vast shifting clouds of string arrangements, pulsating synthesize shadows, haunted organ embellishments, and complex beat patterns hover overhead, his unsettling siren voice emerges from the Lynchian gloom of the charred soundtrack like a strange hybrid of Scott Walker, Robert Wyatt and Radiohead.
Reviewed by Subba-Cultcha
Our New Quarters is Vancouver born Julian Fanes second release. His first, Special Forces, received wide acclaim. The question is can he follow that up or will he be bitten by the cursed second album bug?
No, he won’t. Our New Quarters is a beautiful, intimate album of electronically driven, melancholy pop. It can be neatly compared to Thom Yorkes solo album eraser. Fanes naked, childlike voice echoes that of Yorke, whilst his sparse and
Reviewed by Future Music
Planet Mu's move away from releasing only challenging material continues apace with this shoe-gazing extravaganza. It has elements of Sigur Ros, although the vocals enforce Radiohead comparisons, perhaps unfairly. Beautifully produced and crafted, it could still do with one or two tangetial tracks to help swing the mood from what is a very intense and rigid experience - although one you'll want to come back to and admire.
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.3
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.1
- Various - The Sacred Symbols Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Meathole
- Luke Vibert - Lover's Acid
- Frog Pocket - Gonglot
- Phthalocyanine - No One Said You Didn't
- Various - Amµnition
- Electronic Music Composer - Abandon Music
- The Gasman - The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety
- Chevron - Everything's Exactly The Same
- Julian Fane - Special Forces
- Kid Spatula - Meast
- Shitmat - Killababylonkutz
- Venetian Snares - Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding
- Datach'i - Mmale And Ffemale
- edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
- Remarc - Unreleased Dubs '94-'96
- Remarc - Sound Murderer
- Urban Myth & Steve Beresford - Live At The Friends Meeting House
- dDamage - Radio Ape
- OOO - Upon Cycles
- Venetian Snares - The Chocolate Wheelchair Album
- The Gasman - Remedial