Reviewed by HEADPHONE COMMUTE
It's about time I got my hands on this instant keeper from one of my favorite labels, Planet Mu. Part glitchy IDM, part instrumental trip hoppy beats, part experimental jazzy downtempo, Burbank's got my head bopping with every track, reminiscent of productions by Prefuse 73, edIT, RJD2, and Nautilis. The more I listen, the more the melodies implant themselves into my mind - and after half a dozen rotations, I am humming along with the sampled,
electro crunk in your trunk.
Reviewed by HVC3dream (Amazon)
i got handed this from a friend of mine and having never heard of tom before, i was a little skeptical. but hot damn , i'm a fan now. tom's on a new sound here something between aphex and dirty south. glitchy cut up bumpin tracks. slick production and all. most songs on the album are all intrumental with a few vocal tracks thrown in. tom's got all kinds of different beats and textures on this album but they all come out really fresh and new sounding.
Reviewed by Boomkat (Boomkat)
Alongside the likes of Kyler and The Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble, Tom Burbank further extends the Planet Mu remit beyond the perceived boundaries of its splenetic catalogue - with 'Famous First Words' a glitchy river of melodic hip-hop and electronic intricacies. Very much a contemporary of Prefuse 73, Burbank's sound relies heavily on the slippage that occurs deep within the digital heart when all is not right; lending 'Famous Last Words' a moody
Reviewed by hyponik.com (Hyponik)
The ever so varied Planet Mu take things on a mellow route with this artist album from L.A based Tom Burbank. The album starts off with a filtered 40's style melody that leads the way to a beautifully made album of melodic glitch hop interspersed with soulful electronica moments. During moments of the album the sounds get quite brash and harsh but they are kept from being too much by the mellow glitchy beats and cinematic qualities that reverb
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row