Reviewed by Sharon O'Connell (Time Out)
In her Radio 1 ‘Breezeblock’ sessions, Mary Anne Hobbs probes the more arcane corners of new electronic music. This collection of dubstep, grime, dark drum ’n’ bass, post-techno and all manner of genre-dodging hybrids provides an intro for the novice, while offering up fresh exclusives for older ears. From Andy Stott’s ‘Black’ (think Underworld caught in a K-hole), through Spor’s dark ’n’ deranged ‘Hydra’ to the deep-space wobble of Loefah’s ‘Mud VIP’, there’s a tune here to suit every beats explorer.
The latest thing is still Dubstep and the warrior queen leading the charge on Radio 1 is Mary Anne Hobbs (not pictured).
Reviewed by Gerry Hectic (FLY)
The compilation Mary Ann Hobbs Presents The Warrior Dubz is already a Beginners Guide to Dubstep as things move on at a lighting pace, reminiscent of the early drum’n’bass scene where last night’s acetate was old news.
Even so, MAH has put together some serious tracks that may not all be your underground hardcore dubsteppers choice but there’s some early classics included. ‘Music Box’ by Benga is exclusive to this release so worth
Reviewed by Boomkat (Boomkat)
Considering how young a genre Dubstep is, it's astonishing what a broad and textured palate of sound has been incorporated by the various proponents. Pretty much dictated by white labels and limited runs, dubstep has nonetheless been a slippery beast to grab hold of for the more causal listener; and that's where Mary Anne Hobbs comes in. Wielding the dubstep torch with genuine pleasure, Mary Anne's Breezeblock has been a crucial touchstone for those
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days