Reviewed by almostcool.org (almostcool.org)
Although I had enjoyed previous albums of his intermittently, it was on last years Rossz Csillag Alatt Született that I finally felt that Venetian Snares (aka Aaron Funk) had reached his true potential. Inspired by a trip through Hungary, the album mixed sampled live instrumentation with his trademark breakcore for something that felt intense and original. Arriving only about a year later (but apparently comprised of work created in the past year and a half), Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms finds Funk returning to his old helter-skelter ways.
Musically, the strings and horns from his previous album are gone, but fortunately there's still larely a focus on more melodic material, instead of just returning to hammering beats of the past. "Donut" opens the album and chops up vocal samples, mixing them with blurting orchestral synth stabs and a techno-y feel. "Swindon" continues the trend, making use of even more frenetic programming and lovely layered pads that remind me of the best parts of Aphex Twin's Drukqs.
From there, the album is even more all over the place. "Pwintendo" is an insanely fun track that's comprised entirely out of 8-bit Nintendo sounds while "XII's Dub" takes things down a notch and shows a completely different hand from Funk as he creates a sort of deconstructed melodic IDM track that features sluggish, pitch-bent mechanical noises clanging over multiple layers of drifting melodies.
In other places, he's back to his more standard ways, as both "Vache" and "Plunging Hornets" spit out insane rapid-fire breakcore while "Twirl" and "Tache" take that same formula and tweak it just a bit, balancing out the spastic beats with a bit more of a melodic side. Having said all of the above, Funk is a downright master of his craft at this point, and while this newest effort doesn't quite have the deep emotional resonance that his last album did, it still has plenty to enjoy and a load of moments that highlight why he's nearly unrivaled right now in this genre.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row