Reviewed by almostcool.org (almostcool.org)
Although I had enjoyed previous albums of his intermittently, it was on last years Rossz Csillag Alatt Született that I finally felt that Venetian Snares (aka Aaron Funk) had reached his true potential. Inspired by a trip through Hungary, the album mixed sampled live instrumentation with his trademark breakcore for something that felt intense and original. Arriving only about a year later (but apparently comprised of work created in the past year and a half), Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms finds Funk returning to his old helter-skelter ways.
Musically, the strings and horns from his previous album are gone, but fortunately there's still larely a focus on more melodic material, instead of just returning to hammering beats of the past. "Donut" opens the album and chops up vocal samples, mixing them with blurting orchestral synth stabs and a techno-y feel. "Swindon" continues the trend, making use of even more frenetic programming and lovely layered pads that remind me of the best parts of Aphex Twin's Drukqs.
From there, the album is even more all over the place. "Pwintendo" is an insanely fun track that's comprised entirely out of 8-bit Nintendo sounds while "XII's Dub" takes things down a notch and shows a completely different hand from Funk as he creates a sort of deconstructed melodic IDM track that features sluggish, pitch-bent mechanical noises clanging over multiple layers of drifting melodies.
In other places, he's back to his more standard ways, as both "Vache" and "Plunging Hornets" spit out insane rapid-fire breakcore while "Twirl" and "Tache" take that same formula and tweak it just a bit, balancing out the spastic beats with a bit more of a melodic side. Having said all of the above, Funk is a downright master of his craft at this point, and while this newest effort doesn't quite have the deep emotional resonance that his last album did, it still has plenty to enjoy and a load of moments that highlight why he's nearly unrivaled right now in this genre.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days