Reviewed by Iain Moffat (playlouder.com)
If you were the child of Mr and Mrs Funk, you'd probably be expected to make records that sounded like George Clinton strapping ESG on an erotic rocket to mars while Prince loiters in the kitchen roasting a fox. Canadian feller Aaron of that particular clan, however, shows no sigs of letting up in that most nobly offspringly of callings; namely, rebelling as loudly and consistently as is humanly possible.
Really, given the number of years that Aaron Funk's been trading as Venetian Snares, to say nothing of his Ryan Adams-rivalling prolific bent, you could be forgiven for expecting him to start showing signs of weariness. Au contraire, though: 'Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms' - and surely that's a contender for title of the year at the very least - is an almost unswervingly paint-stripping barrage of demented circus disco noise that clocks in at a little over half a C90, as so many fines albums do, but manages to incorporate some 72,359 beats into its duration. Or thereabouts. There are numerous twists of distinction - 'Donut''s slinky squash-playing electro wallop will be hugged sobbingly by those increasingly perturbed by Squarepusher's hiatus, 'P' launches with a melancholic techno swoon that's fascinatingly redolent of Brenda Russell's late 80s tinklathon 'Piano In The Dark' before fleeing to the nearest cavern, and 'Vache', unless we're much mistaken, runs over some bagpipes at one point - but, really, you're more likely to come away from this bleeding than whistling.
You could argue, if you wanted, that that's the kind of sensation you could get from any of this album's prdecessors, and, in truth, you'd have a point. But so what? This brand of racketeering is terrifically easy to do soullessly and overly posturingly, yet, time and again, this particular merchant of menace serves up pummellings that are as affecting as they are effective, and, while his deployment of the tools of the dancefloor may unstintingly be episodic in its eccentricity, Venetian Snares has clearly once more played a blinder.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days