Apparently any profits from this record will go to St. Bernadetta's Synth Hospital.
Reviewed by NME
If Klaxon's sampler has a drink problem (beer spilled on the motherboard, perhaps) or their favourite synth is missing a crucial knob, this, NME imagines, is where they recover. But the mysterious Canadian behind "Last Step" doesn't need to rely on good deeds to win over NME's affections. Rocking the retro analogue synth sounds of DMX Krew and the pop sensibilities of early Depeche Mode, but given, like Aphex Twin, to schizoid lurches in tempo and sudeen
Reviewed by Boomkat
In the grand tradition of vintage analogue Braindance, Last Step delivers a debut album evoking the spirit of Depeche Mode, Drexciya, Giorgio Moroder, The Human League and Phuture, recorded using nothing but analogue gear (The Roland 303, 606, 707 and Jupiter are among the items listed in the sales notes). Like a more tempered Ceephax Acid crew with an emphasis on instrumental song structures, the album is an unashamedly simplistic, purist affair that works at its
Reviewed by One week to live
The mysterious Canadian producer known as Last Step drops his debut album. You might have caught his "You're A Nice Girl" EP or even heard his vintage disco-leaning electronica on the Planet Mu "Sacred Symbols Of Mu" compilation but if not, don't worry, pick this up and you'll get the whole EP as part of "Last Step". All the tracks on this album were made using original analogue equipment including the Roland 303, 606 and 707 and I'm guessing that choice has
Reviewed by DJ magazine
Those that caught Last Step's last EP will know what to expect from this debut. A mix of scenic electronic sketches and floor-led smashers that mix up acidic basslines with steely beats and warped melodies, it showcases a producer in thrall to electronic music in all it's glory.
Paul Sullivan ****
- DJ Diamond - Flight Muzik
- Machinedrum - Room(s)
- Pritch & Trim - Stereotype
- Tropics - Parodia Flare
- Anti-G - Presents 'Kentje'sz Beatsz'
- Various - Ghettoteknitianz E.P.
- Kuedo - Severant
- Chrissy Murderbot - Women's Studies
- Boxcutter - The Dissolve
- NastyNasty - No Names
- FaltyDL - You Stand Uncertain
- Chrissy Murderbot - Bussin Down
- Boxcutter - Allele
- Various - Bangs & Works Vol.1
- DJ Roc - The Crack Capone
- Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In
- Various - 14 Tracks From Planet Mu
- DJ Spinn - Man I Do It EP
- DJ Rashad - Itz Not Rite
- Numan - Race Against Time
- Ital Tek - Midnight Colour
- DJ Nate - Da Trak Genious
- Tropics - Soft Vision E.P.
- Mrs Jynx - Shark Carousel