Apparently any profits from this record will go to St. Bernadetta's Synth Hospital.
Reviewed by NME
If Klaxon's sampler has a drink problem (beer spilled on the motherboard, perhaps) or their favourite synth is missing a crucial knob, this, NME imagines, is where they recover. But the mysterious Canadian behind "Last Step" doesn't need to rely on good deeds to win over NME's affections. Rocking the retro analogue synth sounds of DMX Krew and the pop sensibilities of early Depeche Mode, but given, like Aphex Twin, to schizoid lurches in tempo and sudeen explosions of sonic chaff, his debut is a rubbery Roland-designed riot. The gabbled Vocoder vocal on "When You're Smiling And When You're Not" is inddicative of the mania that possesses many tracks, but, at other times, "Last Step" is downright beautiful. Please give generously - it'll make you feel good.
Tony Naylor 7
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row