Reviewed by Leon Michael Tricker (Vanity Project)
For anyone interested in electronic music, something featuring Alan Vega is always interesting. ‘Protocol’ is best described as ‘music concrete.’ There is a complete absence of melody or conventional arrangement. Instead, loops of sound, ambient noise, and field recordings drift into one another and are layered to create an audio collage. Over 12 tracks there are spoken word/half sung contributions from a number of artists including Lydia Lunch and the aforementioned Vega. I highly recommend this record to any aspiring electro producers. There may be an absence of rhythm and it may be too experimental for your usual taste. But there are some fantastic compositional lessons in here which could be appropriated to enliven a more traditional dance track.
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify