Reviewed by barcodezine (barcodezine)
Inspired by the soundtracks to mainstream horror/sci-fi movie classics such as
Nosferatu and Metropolis, Jason Kohnen and Gideon Kiers formed The Kilimanjaro
Darkjazz Ensemble around 2000. Drafting in session players to add conventional
instruments such as trombone, cello and guitar, the duo deliver here a
collection of cinematic soundscapes, stitched together by menacing computer
The album kicks in, after a moody opener, with Pearls For Swine, as hypnotic
guitar slides are beefed by a powerful drum kick. Bass then adds a brooding
rhythm as the track stops and starts, lifting off again with powerhouse cyber
bass tones and some drilling noise terrorism. However, this isn’t really the
norm – the beats are mostly unapparent throughout the rest of the album.
Adaptation Of The Koto Song displays the jazz element that is a fluent side
partner to the overpowering electronic component of the album; as sprinkled
piano intersperses light bustling percussion, trombone and moody underlying
bass rhythms. The album then flits between the world of soundtrack and
downbeat ambient jazz in equal measure. Glitchy electronics provide some
menacing overtones, painting images of dangerous back alleys, rain soaked
pavements, and dark shadowy misdeeds hidden beneath the outward glamour of
rows of pristine street lighting – David Lynch would be proud.
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble is an album that you can get into
immediately if you’re in the right frame of mind – but only at length; it
won’t mean much in short snippets. Its swirling, murky, but lightly jazzed
atmospheres are shaped for a movie that has yet to be made.
Certainly not what you would expect from the Planet Mu label - despite it’s
historical diversity, but the album undoubtedly achieves what it sets out to
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify