Venetian Snares’ music can stretch the music-noise ratio all too frequently
Reviewed by Nick Mitchell (The Skinny)
Falling into the more glitch-driven, Aphex-influenced camp of IDM, Canadian Aaron Funk, aka Venetian Snares, is the most notable foreign exponent of this predominantly English sub-genre. This 25 minute ‘mini-album’ (not an EP then) follows up his June album ‘Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore’ with six more madcap forays into the circuitry of modern life. Like Squarepusher, Venetian Snares’ music can stretch the music-noise ratio all too frequently, but when a steady rhythm invades his maelstrom of blips and ticks, the effect can be quite extraordinary, with swathes of synth even adding an emotive resonance. To cap it all, track five - during which warped voices repeatedly pronounce the word ‘strawberries’ - is titled Cabbage. Go figure.
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify