Pur Cosy Tales consists of thirty-two songs that stretch and tingle for a little more than an hour. Most pieces are short, snippets seemingly cut from a larger cloth. The press release indicates that Kyler is an alternative moniker for the delectably christened Shitmat. It’s quickly evident that Pur Cosy Tales is less abrasive and somewhat more contemplative than Shitmat’s standard fare. Which is not to say that this is happy-valley ambient, there’s far too much going on for easy digestion by silver surfers. In fact, samples, beats and sly quotes abound. Pebbletron ends with a snatch of Led Zep’s Stairway To Heaven; more endearingly its successor Pilgrim Rise features a vocal by what might just be a Norfolk folk singer (I say Norfolk because Pur Cosy Tales is a work about the artist’s home in that county). The fifty-four second Which Country is a brief breakbeat outing birthed in gentle acoustic guitar and extinguished with a sputter like a pixelated candle.
Inevitably, the long shadow of Richard James falls over a project such as this, particularly in light of James’s own rural background. Pur Cosy Tales fails to best its spiritual predecessor, but nonetheless it’s a thoroughly enjoyable mapping of points both evocative and otherwise. Having said that, the nature of its materials does raise questions, primarily relating to the predominantly electronic nature of the sounds. It is difficult to associate the image of the flat Norfolk terrain with Kyler’s breaks and sudden flashes of noise. As if to deliberately contradict such reservations, along comes Lovejoy with its cuckoo-like woodwind sample, clicks and brushes and, hot on its heels, follows the mellifluous John with its courtly, almost medieval accents. Pur Cosy Tales is a rich and varied work, alternately gentle, playful and reflective. Well worth a listen.
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up