Reviewed by kek-w (kid shirt)
The new Mark One LP on Planet Mu is fucking excellent, by the way.
A nice mixture of dense, brooding, Grimey/Sub-Lo skunkstrimentals and upliftingly-grubby little shoutalongs spread across three thick slabs of vinyl. Detuned square-wave synth-sounds give an early Warp Records/Bleep vibe to a couple of tracks, while others seem to revel in oppressive, paranoid beats and orchestral-stabs worthy of mid-period Cabaret Voltaire: you can almost hear the CCTV surveillence-cameras whirring as they track your progress through grainy archive-footage of burning, boarded-up city-centres.
But forget the comparisons: the music never feels anything other than fresh, contemporary and vital: there's some 'ting for everyone.
"Anger Management" sounds like a militant Old School Arcade Game possessed by dead RnB backing-vocalists. "Came from the Deep" is straight outa Innsmouth: sludgey, submarine beats and bleeps: the inhuman fish-bastard-hybrid of Dagon and Jaws.
"The Industry" is Bolshevik Grime: a constructivist nightmare come to life, lurching around the ruins of Chernobyl on angular, stilt-like limbs, square wheels and synthetic-hydraulics.
"Ready for it" goes something like: "Hit 'em wit the sickness/Don' get me started, byoi/Jump on the chat like Bleuuuughh/Wanna get witness/tell me, are you ready for the bleeeurrrrgh/Lyrically nauseous/From the Hood to the Marshes/everyone's like: euuuurgghhh/Can't sleep no more/I see demons/It's like the whole world's plottin' and schemin'..."
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days