Venetian Snares’s Aaron Funk never ceases to amaze, annoy, disturb, frustrate, all that often at once. While his recent output for Canadian-label Sublight Records, Winnipeg Is A Frozen Shithole, an anti-ode to his native city, has been described as one of his hardest, most violent records to date, his next album, this time for Planet Mu, is perhaps his most delicate and intriguing.
For years, Funk has taken unexpected paths and lodged his
Reviewed by Luke Turner (Playlouder.com)
I've often found the world of clippeting beats made by hoodied boys and their laptop friends to be a barren one, populated by scientific types who like to keep things as closed as a sanitised laboratory. I've found the blips and flicks to neither burn with a cauterised evil, nor to display any humanity - it's always felt like an alien existence, in which precision instruments are removed from velvet cases and played with by a self-regarding
One inevitable criticism of the Venetian Snares catalogue is that with such high output, a lot of Aaron Funk’s work has begun to run together. And at times, it’s inarguably true. What really set Find Candace apart from Doll Doll Doll, or Chocolate Wheelchair apart from Higgins Ultra Low-Track Glue Funk Hits? Of course, Funk rehashes old approaches because there’s a clear demand. People wanted the next evil, scary Snares album and they got Find
Reviewed by Justin Faase (Musique Machine)
I refuse to introduce this man any longer. This is (you’d almost start cursing) Aaron Funk’s 12th (!) studio album in a way too short time. I, as a devotee of his music, have to admit that his latest couple of albums haven’t impressed me as much the albums did in the period 2001-2002. The concept of this album however, seemed interesting enough to lay my hands upon another Snares album.
So, Mister Funk was on a European tour and also
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row