Reviewed by Jim Siegel (brainwashed)
From the ominous chords of 40-second opener "Sikertelenseg," a solo piece for untreated piano, it is clear that this is a very different Venetian Snares record than any of the previous 11 albums Aaron Funk has recorded. The titles appear, at first, to be some sort of prankster gibberish, a la Aphex Twin or Autechre.
Upon further inspection it is revealed that these are in fact Hungarian titles, as this album was inspired by a trip to Hungary,
Reviewed by Susanna Glazer (bbc.co.uk)
These are “love songs and grief songs” says Venetian Snares of his heavily Hungary-influenced album (the title means “born under a bad star”). But where this caustic drill’n’bass genius is concerned, you know it's no ordinary love, no ordinary grief. At first Snares, aka Winnipeg-based Aaron Funk, overwhelms you with an incredible marriage of orchestral works and serrated, adrenalized breakbeats. But even this is insignificant compared to
Reviewed by Tom Meluch (atmosphere)
As I found out the other week when going to see Venetian Snares’ first Detroit performance, a certain sect of rave culture is still holding on to the dream. Baggy pants and pleather coats seemed to be the order of the night, unfortunately, and the breakcore antics of Snares (aka Aaron Funk of Winnipeg) evidently did not disappoint them. Good show, but Detroit proved again its ultimate horribleness when, after the show, all of Funk’s equipment was
Aaron Funk, aka Venetian Snares, isn't for everybody. His compulsively skittering beats are an assault on both the ears and taste in general and one could easily label him a musical headache. However, his genius is undeniable; the guy knows his way around a computer. And now a violin as well. That's right, the electronic virtuoso has gone organic! I know what you're thinking "how fast can you play a violin without sawing it in half with the bow?".
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up