Reviewed by Ralph Cowling (logarhythm)
Whether you have a particular aversion to pigeons or not, the mighty Venetian Snares, aka Aaron Funk is back again on England's seemingly unstoppable planet-mu label. And again, it cannot be denied that although Funk seems to be applying himself/itself multifariously on each new record of his prolific output, there is absolutely no suggestion that he is failing to excel completely in ability and general perception.
Now turning his hand to philharmonic samples of the dramatic canon, the segments are allowed to continue, seemingly without heavy alteration. However, this is not to say that the trademark amen-break-caliginosity and mayhem is eschewed in favour of an entirely harmonic reapproach to snares' musical direction. Rather, the relatively less orthodox practice (within breakbeat, at least) of reappropriating "classical" symphonic music, is combined, with a subtle consistency, with the rather more conventional drum-mashing practice.
It seems more and more, that these releases are becoming geographically and metaphysically placed in their origin. Each new title being loaded with allegory and drama, our attention is now turned from Canada's Winnipeg (see Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole), and into the ethereal, tragic and ancient. The escapist, gypsy-like air around the music is compounded by it's authors' motion to create a sense of distance from his own situation in every element of this record's production. The use of the Hungarian language - located far from his homeland of Canada, the distancing of his usual music base; using foreign music samples (both geographically and categorically), all of which combine to manipulate our listening consciousness, to take us somewhere very alien, very beautiful and very different.
- Last Step - You're A Nice Girl
- Dolphin & The Teknoist - Soul Cannibal / Closing Down
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol V
- Kyler - Pur Cosy Tales
- Hellfish - One Man Sonic Attack Force
- Virus Syndicate - The Work-Related Illness
- Virus Syndicate - Slow Down
- Shitmat - The Lesser Spotted Burberry EP
- Bizzy B - Science EP Volumes III + IV
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol IV
- Exile - Pro Agonist
- Vex'd - Degenerate
- Vex'd - Gunman
- John B & Exile - Broken Language
- Mark One - One Way
- Venetian Snares & Bong-Ra - 4 Adaptations Of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Ed Lawes - 14 Tracks/Pieces
- Eight Frozen Modules - DJ, Riddim & Source E.P.
- dDamage - Pressure
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol III
- Hawerchuk - Camel Toe
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest