Reviewed by Lawrence English (Time Off)
Aaron Funk has developed an impressive array of releases over the past five years. Usually splintered both in overall aesthetics and rhythmical approaches, his latest (and possibly most indescribably titled) album is easily one of his most elegant and picturesque.
Littered with post-classical references, obtuse piano sections, dreamlike voices and oddly suggestive narratives, this record draws itself from a visit to Hungary and, specifically, the architecture and grandeur of Budapest’s Royal Palace. Like the space itself, the album is full of subtle hidden treasures, all housed within a vast and dominating structure.
The record pays homage to Hungarian song culture also, drawing out a cover of ‘Rezso Seresss’, the apparently notorious Hungarian suicide song, which takes on a vastly different emotive quality. Rosez Caillag Allat Szuletett is an essential and utterly beautiful piece of modern electronica.
- Last Step - You're A Nice Girl
- Dolphin & The Teknoist - Soul Cannibal / Closing Down
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol V
- Kyler - Pur Cosy Tales
- Hellfish - One Man Sonic Attack Force
- Virus Syndicate - The Work-Related Illness
- Virus Syndicate - Slow Down
- Shitmat - The Lesser Spotted Burberry EP
- Bizzy B - Science EP Volumes III + IV
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol IV
- Exile - Pro Agonist
- Vex'd - Degenerate
- Vex'd - Gunman
- John B & Exile - Broken Language
- Mark One - One Way
- Venetian Snares & Bong-Ra - 4 Adaptations Of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Ed Lawes - 14 Tracks/Pieces
- Eight Frozen Modules - DJ, Riddim & Source E.P.
- dDamage - Pressure
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol III
- Hawerchuk - Camel Toe
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest