Reviewed by Matthew Ingram (The Wire)
British electronic musician Ed Lawes's debut album is a set of great integrity, the product of three years' dedicated programming. 14 Tracks/Pieces follows the escape route out of Techno laid down by Autechre, even if the oldest track on the record, "Actually Real", is the only one with a hint of linear beats. But the attack is so even-paced, so gentle, that the experience is akin to hearing a fairly traditional jazz record filtered or processed.
Reviewed by milkfactory (themilkfactory.co.uk)
Ed Lawes springs out of nowhere, scaring the cattle and holding onto his liner notes much too tightly. This man needs an old fashioned bobby to raise his hand, palm outwards and say NO! to him. Take for example the following (brief) quote from the liner notes: “... from a minimal range of means (the returned trumpets at the beginning) to ‘a’ maximum range (a maximum within the limits I have set) (at their most... 3 violins, 3 doublebasses, 3
Reviewed by WOEBOT (WOEBOT)
This is a set of great integrity, the product of three years dedicated programming. Lawes aesthetic lies in the netherspace between Gil Evans, Ingram Marshall, and Pierre Henry. However it's this ease with which the listener can pinpoint antecedents that slightly dogs the record. Many of the themes have a nagging similarity to music you're sure you heard once somewhere, indeed occasionally it can feel like an index of Avant-Garde dabbling. This would
Reviewed by FdW (Vital Weekly) (Vital Weekly)
Ed who?, you may very well ask, just like I did. Planet Mu doesn't
reveal much more than that Lawes is a 'Birmingham-based musician &
contemporary composer' and 'he divides the works between 'pieces'
(generally scored for or improvised on more traditional instruments)
and 'tracks' (which can be generalised as more computer-based or
electroacoustic works)'. The pieces include studies for violin,
double bass & tenor
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify