Reviewed by Tim O'Neil (popmatters.com)
If I say this album is drill & bass, will you hold it against me? Yeah, I know: drill & bass is one of those genre names that usually gets name-checked in music magazines as totally, humorously defunct, usually by the type of folks who think that making any kind of electronic music is so, like, 1998.
Well, the year is 2005 and drill & bass is here to stay. Maybe Aaron Funk -- the rather brilliant mastermind behind Venetian Snares -- will never
Reviewed by boomcat (boomcat.com)
With Planet Mu finding some serious form recently through the likes of VEX'D and Exile, relative veterans like Aaron Funk (aka Venetian Snares) are finding the need to keep quality sky-high an ever more pressing concern. Thankfully 'Meat Hole' suggests that the Venetian Snares desk won't be cleared anytime soon. Eschewing the symphonies of his last album 'Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett', 'Meat Hole' is a return to the dank and disturbing breakcore of
Reviewed by Nicola Meighan (Plan B)
Legend has it that Venetian Snares protagonist and free-jazz-gabba lord Aaron Funk was played 'Tubular Bells' on repeat in the womb. Whether he is rebelling against said innate aural atrocity or simply taking his lead from the predestined 'Exorcist' correlation remains unclear, but either way 'Meathole', our Canadian protagonist's largest endeavor, is a head-burling, drill-spewing symphony for the devil. From churning parp'n'bass opener 'Aanguish' -
Reviewed by LMT (Vanity Project 16 2005) (Vanity Project)
A couple of issues of VP ago I reviewed Venetian Snares 'Rossz Csillag...'opus. It's melodic sketches and use of string samples made a big impression on me and it stands as one of my albums of 2005. 'Meathole' is an album recorded in 2003, but only now getting a release, and it's interesting to hear where the boy Snares has journeyed previously. For the most part this is a relentless wall of electro beats and bass, though 'Aamelotasis' offers some respite with acoustic drum samples/programming and a jazz-synth vibe.
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up