The more recent Venetian Snares albums (all of which we've loved) from Canadian electronic wizard Aaron Funk have fallen muchcloser sonically to the maudlin minor key string soaked IDM sound of Boy / Girl era Aphex Twin. However, Meathole returns to the beligerent head-ache electro-shock breakcore albums that dominated his early records. This records fucking hurts; and I'm sure that Mr. Funk wants us to hurt; and it's same kind of damage that J Lesser
Reviewed by Jonathan Dean (brainwashed.com)
Aaron Funk AKA Venetian Snares, creator of some of the scariest, most twisted hardcore, industrial-strength drill n' bass ever commited to wax, released his new album Meathole on Planet Mu this past week.
More than just another entry in Funk's ridiculously prolific discography, Meathole contains extensive sampling from Brainwashed mainstays Current 93 and Nurse With Wound. The album's first track "Aanguish" contains samples from Current 93's
Reviewed by failme.net (failme.net)
Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett'....I mean, songs about pigeons? Hungarian Architecture? Did we really think that the undisputed master of tearaway breakcore had gone all conceptual? 'Meathole' violently and sickly resets you to the palette he's best known for. Pulverising jungle with a side over of pain and penury. Best demonstrated by the killer opening of 'Aanguish'.
Reviewed by Kenny Strömsholm (imhotep.fi)
Aaron Funk is the mastermind behind Venetian Snares, a man walking the most perilous paths in drill n' bass genre. This artist creates the most scary shit on this planet whenever he feels like it. Be it stretching atmospheres, speaker-destroying breakcore, idm or gabber, it's always monster mashing. "Meathole" was recorded back in 2003 between "The Chocolate Wheelchair" and "Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding" albums.
'Meathole' is no
- Eskmo - Let Them Sing
- Ikonika - Smuck
- Geiom & Shortstuff - No Hand Signals
- Starkey - OK Luv
- Raffertie - 7th Dimension
- Ceephax Acid Crew - United Acid Emirates
- Kuedo - Dream Sequence E.P.
- Starkey - Ephemeral Exhibits
- Neil Landstrumm - Lord For £39
- Distance - Repercussions
- Last Step - 1961
- Mrs Jynx - The Standoffish Cat
- Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
- iTAL tEK - Cyclical
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
- Venetian Snares - Miss Balaton
- Various Production & Virus Syndicate - Apollo/Neva Argue
- Sunken Foal - Fermented Condiments
- Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches
- Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
- The Gasman - Superlife
- Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
- Virus Syndicate - Sick Pay