Reviewed by gridface (www.gridface.com)
After his fabulous acid trip YosepH, Vibert is back to his old tricks. On Lover’s Acid, cheesy, loungy synths and annoying, tired samples make for a real disappointment. (He even samples “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life”!) There are occasional 303 sounds here as on his last album, but unlike Yoseph the tracks seem hastily put together. Vibert can make some really nice music, but he’s terribly inconsistent. This happy, empty schlock reminds me of Stop the Panic. Some of it may be catchy, but it’s ultimately unfulfilling.
Jun 9, 2005 by Jacob Arnold
uh, it's a compilation of OLD material... with a couple of NEW songs mixed in. did you know that? gah... sometimes your reviews seem hastily put together!
Jun 10, 2005 12:47 by matt
Yeah, I should have mentioned it's a collection of EPs: '95-'99 from 2000, Homewerk from 2002, and the new Lover's Acid. But that's no excuse for it being superficial stuff. Someone needs to reissue Big Soup!
Jun 11, 2005 08:20 by Jacob
i agree, it's far from his best work. i also agree that Big Soup! needs reissue. it's one of my favorites.
Jun 13, 2005 14:11 by matt
- The Doubtful Guest - Acid Sauna
- Barry Lynn - Balancing Lakes
- Tom Burbank - Famous First Words
- The Gasman - Audiogold
- Boxcutter - Glyphic
- Frog Pocket - Come On Primates Show Your Teeth!
- µ-Ziq - Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique
- Luke Vibert - Chicago,Detroit,Redruth
- - 2OO
- Luke Vibert - Mate Tron
- Syntheme - Vol.1
- Ra - Ev.Panic Redone
- Shitmat - Grooverider
- Neil Landstrumm - Restaurant Of Assassins
- Venetian Snares - Pink+Green
- MRK1 - Copyright Laws
- - Adapt
- Last Step - Last Step
- Distance - My Demons
- Julian Fane - Our New Quarters
- The Gasman - Love Collection
- Distance - Fallen (Vex'd Remix)
- FFF - The Feeling
- Distance - Traffic