Reviewed by gridface (www.gridface.com)
After his fabulous acid trip YosepH, Vibert is back to his old tricks. On Lover’s Acid, cheesy, loungy synths and annoying, tired samples make for a real disappointment. (He even samples “Last Night a DJ Saved My Life”!) There are occasional 303 sounds here as on his last album, but unlike Yoseph the tracks seem hastily put together. Vibert can make some really nice music, but he’s terribly inconsistent. This happy, empty schlock reminds me of Stop the Panic. Some of it may be catchy, but it’s ultimately unfulfilling.
Jun 9, 2005 by Jacob Arnold
uh, it's a compilation of OLD material... with a couple of NEW songs mixed in. did you know that? gah... sometimes your reviews seem hastily put together!
Jun 10, 2005 12:47 by matt
Yeah, I should have mentioned it's a collection of EPs: '95-'99 from 2000, Homewerk from 2002, and the new Lover's Acid. But that's no excuse for it being superficial stuff. Someone needs to reissue Big Soup!
Jun 11, 2005 08:20 by Jacob
i agree, it's far from his best work. i also agree that Big Soup! needs reissue. it's one of my favorites.
Jun 13, 2005 14:11 by matt
- Eskmo - Let Them Sing
- Ikonika - Smuck
- Geiom & Shortstuff - No Hand Signals
- Starkey - OK Luv
- Raffertie - 7th Dimension
- Ceephax Acid Crew - United Acid Emirates
- Kuedo - Dream Sequence E.P.
- Starkey - Ephemeral Exhibits
- Neil Landstrumm - Lord For £39
- Distance - Repercussions
- Last Step - 1961
- Mrs Jynx - The Standoffish Cat
- Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
- iTAL tEK - Cyclical
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
- Venetian Snares - Miss Balaton
- Various Production & Virus Syndicate - Apollo/Neva Argue
- Sunken Foal - Fermented Condiments
- Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches
- Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
- The Gasman - Superlife
- Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
- Virus Syndicate - Sick Pay