Reviewed by Chris Prewett (scubba-cultcha.com)
Electronic Music Composer’s ‘Abandon Music’ does pretty much exactly what the title suggests. Using the abstract computor template favored by Aphex Twin, Kid 606, Knifehandchop etc, the duo create massive scribbles of electronic noise which shoot off in all directions taking in collapsing scattergun beats (‘Suggested Surgery), regga tinged rhymes (Everything New is Old) and chirping laptop ambience (too Many Gringos Moving to the Neighbourhood), making sounds so varied and otherworlderly that they disregard what most people would consider music.
While not overly keen on such conservative values as songs or melodies, ‘Abandon Music’ is a record that manages to produce more pathos than a hundred singer songwriters. Tracks split and collapse, reform and crash into each other, merging into one large soundscape painted in broad digital strokes that brim with vibrancy and joy. Only ‘SkinTight Kink’ has a recognisable song structure, with a bass line that bounces throughout the duration as layered and treated sounds tumbled like acrobats in the background.
Most of the other tracks are near impossible to describe in any way that would make sense. They morph and change faster than a cheetah, giving you maybe a few seconds of a melody, or some highly treated rythem, before collapsing into a reverbed drone, being shunted out of the way by some seemingly randon sound or just simply vanishing never to be heard again, but it’s this fluidity and unpredictabikity that gives the compositions their strength and makes them sound so strangely human.
Free from the shackles of any kind of cohesive form, ‘Abandon Music’ is an album that feels more vibrant and alive that most records and also manages, through its warmness of textures and harmoics, to rise above the anal feel that many IDM albums possess. It’s robot music through and through, but this robot’s got a soul.
- Eskmo - Let Them Sing
- Ikonika - Smuck
- Geiom & Shortstuff - No Hand Signals
- Starkey - OK Luv
- Raffertie - 7th Dimension
- Ceephax Acid Crew - United Acid Emirates
- Kuedo - Dream Sequence E.P.
- Starkey - Ephemeral Exhibits
- Neil Landstrumm - Lord For £39
- Distance - Repercussions
- Last Step - 1961
- Mrs Jynx - The Standoffish Cat
- Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
- iTAL tEK - Cyclical
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
- Venetian Snares - Miss Balaton
- Various Production & Virus Syndicate - Apollo/Neva Argue
- Sunken Foal - Fermented Condiments
- Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches
- Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
- The Gasman - Superlife
- Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
- Virus Syndicate - Sick Pay