Reviewed by Lawrence English (Time off)
Chris Reeves, the Portsmouth-based musician otherwise known as The Gasman, has what can only be assumed to be a very short attention span… or a love of simply ramming unusual musical shapes together.
As the title suggests, this record is a treasure trove of change, a majestic journey through experiments in melody and groove. Drawing on the techno movements of countries like Belgium in the early 90s, we’re treated to some of eccentric
Reviewed by Ben Murphy (DJ magazine)
The Gasman in question is less like a fellow that changes extortionate amounts to fix your boiler, and more like an amorphous phantom obsessed with odd ambience. Chris Reeves' new double album is a trip into haunted territory over two CDs. On CD1, the largely beatless electronics conceal deep layers of melody and invention. CD2, meanwhile, throws crazed beats into the heady melodic mixture. On 'Broken CD Player' he cuts up the normally irritating
Reviewed by Flux, Mar/April (Flux Mag)
In this case there's no clipboard and no boiler suit, but there is a magic toolbox full of wierd musical atmospheres, unsettling chord changes, horror film organ, in-human vocals and Belgian techno. Chris Reeves' 'The Grand Electric Palace of Variety' is two CDs full of pure fairground spookiness, and not in a contrived way. If you like it a bit twisted, get this but don't listen home alone after midnight.
Reviewed by LMT (Vanity Project) (Vanity Project 14, Summer 05)
Portsmouth's very own The Gasman (ADA Christopher Reeves...no, really!) is something a bit special. Yes, I do have a auto-reflex bias for acts from my hometown, but even taking that into account this stands head and shoulders above the crowd. Reeves' real talent is in simply being himself. For sure he is influenced by the Warp Records stable. But rather than rehash derivative loops he conjures up soundscapes that come across like Lynch-ian
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up