Reviewed by Matthew Ingram (The Wire)
Chris Reeves's latest release for Planet Mu is even in its weaker moments, unfailingly entertaining. The tropes introduced by The Aphex Twin through the 90s, which Reeves is unable to admit inform his work, are failsafe recipes for a solid listening experience - the breathy, helium synth stabs and tickling filigree of drums that characterize The Aphex Twin's billowing rave odysseys are powerfully seductive. Indeed there's nothing wrong with working
Reviewed by Jeremy Chick (subba-culcha.com)
The lights in my room are fading. The candles surrounding me flicker to a halt. The sound of something rustling outside breaks the eerie calm and a gush of wind extinguishes any chance of hope breaking through the electric blue calm of the night. These evenings are electric. I feel the presence of something upon the horizon, my door is shut and the darkness of the room begins to play tricks on my eyes. I see shadows darting across the normally still
The least that can be said about The Gasman’s second album, The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety, is that it is a truly ambitious project. Thirty-four tracks scattered over two CDs, totalling well over two hours of processed beats, flamboyant orchestral moments and delicate constructions.
Hailing from Portsmouth, Christopher Reeves developed an interest for electronic music while at a very young age, and began experimenting with tapes of old
Massive double-cd set from Portsmouth’s Chris Reeves for Planet Mu, once again pairing his love of Aphex-style playful intricacies with a harrowing line in abandoned dancehall instrumentals. The opening of this album defies expectations with its dense splice-up of choral phrases and ghostly ice-rink vibes, seemingly influenced by VVM’s Caretaker and Akira Rabelais’ haunting choir re-arrangements. ‘Imodium’ does this particularly well, you
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify