Reviewed by Lawrence English (Time off)
Chris Reeves, the Portsmouth-based musician otherwise known as The Gasman, has what can only be assumed to be a very short attention span… or a love of simply ramming unusual musical shapes together.
As the title suggests, this record is a treasure trove of change, a majestic journey through experiments in melody and groove. Drawing on the techno movements of countries like Belgium in the early 90s, we’re treated to some of eccentric electronic music’s finer moments.
Reeves creates clusters of organ-like chords, echoed through reverb chambers and plonked aloft wavering grooves that sound like enclosed insects slowly being poked and prodded by machinery to extract their unusual sounds. It’s genuinely refreshing audio for the ears.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days