I don’t like quoting and I never do but this time it is necessary. Mike Paradinas (µ-Ziq/Kid Spatula) - the head of Planet Mu label - said about this album: "OK, maybe I've bigged it up too much, but it's a good album. Girls like it. People who hate Planet Mu will like it. He'll probably sign to some other big label..."
So as you already have understood this new album that was born in September should hurt all of Planet Mu extremes and be a joy for the lover of emotions and sentimentality. Special Forces has shocked me. And at the same time it has delighted me. I must admit that Planet Mu was not my planet although there were some albums that were more than just impressive (for me) so Julian Fane is not just the best release of this label but I already have nominated it for the name of my best album of the year. A really joyful discovery. Last year Ampop - (Re)Made For Market was such kind of discovery for me. Both of them have a feature to be loved by everyone who hears them. A young 21 years old artist from Vancouver (Canada) has become a clone of Tom York from Radiohead for couple of weeks. Throughout whole decade others didn't manage to do what this financial specialist who is working in NASDAQ managed to create in his very first album. But I will disappoint the fans of Radiohead - this album is even better than the irreplaceable Kid A! It is better than everything else that was born on this dimension of music. Julian has smashed directly into the centre of the heart. It smashed with his melodies, with his voice, with his longing melodies, with his synthesizers which seem to try to tear your brains or heart apart, with his unique idm breaks which accent the perfection of the album.
All of you will think of Radiohead after you give this album a first listen. Later you may have some others associations such as M83, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine or some other bands of this genre. Yes, all of them have produced this kind of tracks and yes, all of the play fantastic music but none of them has got such a solid, such a quality, such a technically perfect, such a... album. Only Julian Jane can overrun himself. It will be very hard to make anything better.
Yes, one of the best albums of this year.
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.3
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.1
- Various - The Sacred Symbols Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Meathole
- Luke Vibert - Lover's Acid
- Frog Pocket - Gonglot
- Phthalocyanine - No One Said You Didn't
- Various - Amµnition
- Electronic Music Composer - Abandon Music
- The Gasman - The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety
- Chevron - Everything's Exactly The Same
- Julian Fane - Special Forces
- Kid Spatula - Meast
- Shitmat - Killababylonkutz
- Venetian Snares - Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding
- Datach'i - Mmale And Ffemale
- edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
- Remarc - Unreleased Dubs '94-'96
- Remarc - Sound Murderer
- Urban Myth & Steve Beresford - Live At The Friends Meeting House
- dDamage - Radio Ape
- OOO - Upon Cycles
- Venetian Snares - The Chocolate Wheelchair Album
- The Gasman - Remedial