Reviewed by Jon Bailey (angryape.com)
Being compared to such huge, jaw-dropping names as Radiohead and Sigur Ros before actually releasing anything, can either go one way or the other; the inevitable failing to cope with the hype, or it means Julian Fane has just recorded one of the most intelligent and brilliantly executed albums of the year.
As a taster for things to come, Planet Mu release ‘Safety Man’ - a one-off promotional 7", which lifts the main track from the ‘Special Forces’ long-player. As if recorded straight out of Iceland, where echoes of Mum skip amidst the frosty backdrops of Fane’s ethereal vocals, there’s also the emotional soundscapes of the aforementioned Sigur Ros and a vocal clone of Thom Yorke.
‘Kid A’ era beats and electronic organs replace the fitting string section and marching band drums of the predecessor title track, albeit overseen with the visionary production of My Bloody Valentine’s gorgeous feedback layers, on flip-side ‘Joyce Lang’. The traces of Mercury Rev’s ‘Holes’ (’Deserter’s Songs’) a faded memory in this ‘Swallow’, for a come-down generation.
A shoe-gazer fan’s ultimate fantasy of intense, fiery emotions and wide-eyed, dreamy production techniques not heard since ‘Agaetis Byrjun’.
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.3
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.1
- Various - The Sacred Symbols Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Meathole
- Luke Vibert - Lover's Acid
- Frog Pocket - Gonglot
- Phthalocyanine - No One Said You Didn't
- Various - Amµnition
- Electronic Music Composer - Abandon Music
- The Gasman - The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety
- Chevron - Everything's Exactly The Same
- Julian Fane - Special Forces
- Kid Spatula - Meast
- Shitmat - Killababylonkutz
- Venetian Snares - Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding
- Datach'i - Mmale And Ffemale
- edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
- Remarc - Unreleased Dubs '94-'96
- Remarc - Sound Murderer
- Urban Myth & Steve Beresford - Live At The Friends Meeting House
- dDamage - Radio Ape
- OOO - Upon Cycles
- Venetian Snares - The Chocolate Wheelchair Album
- The Gasman - Remedial