Reviewed by Gutta (gutterbreakz)
I thought I'd kick-off this little run of Planet Mu reviews with an album from the main man Mike Paradinas himself, here working under his Kid Spatula alter-ego. Although released this year, "Meast" isn't actually new material, it's a two-disc collection of DAT-detritus culled from the period 1994-98. Why get excited by that old stuff? 'Cos it's lush! Like most of the early Mu-ziq albums, this simply doesn't have a sell-by date. The Rephlex debut
Reviewed by dan p (gusset)
Mike Paradinas, like many of his contemporise, releases music under several different pseudonyms, µ-ziq being the most famous, using each of these like a unique musical personality. Kid Spatula seems to be the platform for material rooted in the early 90's rave scene and is highly reminiscent of his first two albums under the µ-ziq moniker (on Rephlex Records around the same said period). Jackal is the best example of this.
Highlights of this
Reviewed by Mark Griffey (Junkmedia)
Frantic drum and bass, horror movie soundtracks, new-new age blip fests, and fuzzy electronic ditties all collide on Meast, a trove of unreleased B-sides from Mike Paradinas' extensive back catalog. Although better known for his more notable, concise work under the u-ziq moniker, even these throwaway tracks are fascinating. Recorded during electronica's fertile heyday of 1994–98, and covering 2 long CDs, Meast is best viewed as a primer for all
Kid Spatula earned rave reviews for his debut album, ‘Full Sunken Beats’, yet ‘Meast’ takes Mike Paradina’s creation up another notch still. Some might say it sounds a bit like U-Ziq, until you realise it’s the same prolific creator. It also sounds like a hybrid of Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Yazoo. Creative ambient backdrops, hypnotizingly addictive eighties-style synth melodies and large dollops of frenzied, sampled machine hacking.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row