Reviewed by sheikh ahmed (absorb.org)
ok, so they may be outtakes and leftovers from mike 'µ-ziq' paradinas' floor, but his scraps are better then most people's proper servings. and there are a lot of them here; 34 tracks in total, lickedly-split into 2 cd's. to be blunt; i thought his last lp ('bilious paths') sucked. too complex, horribly obtuse and somehow we'd heard it all before....
ahh, this is much better. the sounds on this album make it more suitable for a person my age....'thirtysomething-tronica'. y'know, the kind of tracks with lovely, fluffy, hummable melodies and solid beats that you can dance to (like in the olden days); with not a trace of dsp or glitch in sight. these are the forgotten sketches that must have lay dormant within his atari st, unable to communicate with the shiny new world of apple macs. midi over digi.
i could be a sad case and extoll the virtues of this album track-by-track but i've gotta leave in like ten minutes so i'll no bother. suffice to say that it's the most 'fun' lp i've heard this miserable month. anything that makes cricklewood seem a nicer place than it actually is, can't be all bad in my book.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days