Reviewed by Khosu Tuboka (gridface.com)
Another Venetian Snares release, on the demanding side this time. After the gabberesque, sampledelic crowd-pleaser Chocolate Wheelchair on Planet Mu, and the quite sloppily crafted Horse and Goat EP on Sublight Records earlier this year (which meandered through the more electronic libraries at the Rosedale Crazy House to culminate in a series of jawbreaking non sequiturs), comes this more focused effort by the workaholic Funk.
Following the path
Reviewed by Lee Henderson (Junkmedia)
Aaron Funk (aka Venetian Snares) doesn't know how to slow down. By my count, Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding is Funk's second album in 2004 and his eighth in two and a half years. Snares can freak the beat with the best of the pickled punks in the IDM carnival, and his compositions rival the best in the genre.
Funk is a dystopic Mozart, the archangel to Amadeus. Cylinder Box is a breakbeat symphony of pentagrammatic rhythms - dark, sallow
Reviewed by Jonathan Falcone (plan b magazine)
For Aaron Funk’s 11th long-player he finally creates a fluidly coherent album. Whereas past releases tended to contain that bastard ‘stand-out-track’ germ, Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding is designed to Gaudi-esque perfection.
And what a monstrous affair it is, from the brutality of ‘Coke Ajax’ with its army of mechanical toads ribbiting in cinematic freestyle to the kinder toy-tronics of ‘Oida’, this is one brilliantly disturbing
Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding
Reviewed by Cormac Heron (playlouder.com)
I must confess I do have a bit of a soft spot for Venetian Snares ever since his collaboration with Speedranch on 'Making Orange Things' (which is a full on album and deserves the same volume, respect and fear as 'Never Mind The Bollocks'). 'Making Orange Things', however, is a collaboration so I'll leave that one there.
'Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding' is the 11th release by Canadian Aaron Funk, the brians and time
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row