Reviewed by Jonathan Falcone (plan b magazine)
For Aaron Funk’s 11th long-player he finally creates a fluidly coherent album. Whereas past releases tended to contain that bastard ‘stand-out-track’ germ, Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding is designed to Gaudi-esque perfection.
And what a monstrous affair it is, from the brutality of ‘Coke Ajax’ with its army of mechanical toads ribbiting in cinematic freestyle to the kinder toy-tronics of ‘Oida’, this is one brilliantly disturbing album. It is un-relentless, unforgiving, and completely absorbing.
As powerful an electronica album heard in a long-time (since Squarepusher’s Big Loada or The Richard D. James Album at least), it’s filled with grotesque rhythmic belches, industrial accident noises and emphaceemic ravers using their own throat-boxes as whistles, chugging up rusted Jolly Ranchers in painful reverie (Mugwump style). Sound, texture and rhythm are blended into one abrasive attack formation.
It is, as all great indulgences are, a very guilty pleasure.
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.3
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest Vol.1
- Various - The Sacred Symbols Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Meathole
- Luke Vibert - Lover's Acid
- Frog Pocket - Gonglot
- Phthalocyanine - No One Said You Didn't
- Various - Amµnition
- Electronic Music Composer - Abandon Music
- The Gasman - The Grand Electric Palace Of Variety
- Chevron - Everything's Exactly The Same
- Julian Fane - Special Forces
- Kid Spatula - Meast
- Shitmat - Killababylonkutz
- Venetian Snares - Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding
- Datach'i - Mmale And Ffemale
- edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
- Remarc - Unreleased Dubs '94-'96
- Remarc - Sound Murderer
- Urban Myth & Steve Beresford - Live At The Friends Meeting House
- dDamage - Radio Ape
- OOO - Upon Cycles
- Venetian Snares - The Chocolate Wheelchair Album
- The Gasman - Remedial