Reviewed by ed chamberlain (musical bear)
the gloriously named aaron funk has released an unbelievable five albums since 2001 under the moniker venetian snares. the canadian has made a name for himself with his preposterously complex drum ‘n bass, which makes aphex twin sound like brian eno. although he has lost none of his intensity, the chocolate wheelchair album is mr funk’s pop album. from abomination street, which sacrilegiously mauls the coronation street theme tune with hilarious
Reviewed by Nat Carsley (logo magazine)
Anything featuring a rave-breakz-punk interpretation of the Coronation Street theme tune deserves plaudits right across the board. Venetian Snares’ Aaron Funk has made a name for himself as a gilded purveyor of sample-heavy jungle breakz, brewing up a storm with his disjointed, brain-melting mixes and illogical use of the pop sample. ‘The Chocolate Wheelchair Album’ catches Funk in full flow. For the uninitiated its schizophrenic, fragmented
Reviewed by Ben Sansum (RobotFist)
'HORRIBLE', 'unnecessary', 'completely pointless' and 'a nasty noise'.
That's the considered verdict of my girlfriend, who thought every time-stretched snare and stuttering sample on this record was further proof that I am just wrong in the head.
Maybe she's right.
Maybe the fact that I can listen to and enjoy such disconcerting, discordant, noisecore music means I'm not fit to walk the streets.
If that is the case,
It’s been a surprisingly quiet year for Venetian Snares’s Aaron Funk, with just one album released on Hymen earlier this year, and this one, pencilled for release for some time and finally made available. If the last in last year’s trilogy of albums published on Planet Mu, Winter In The Belly Of A Snake, showed Mr. Snare at his more accessible, The Chocolate Wheelchair Album returns to the more upfront and arrogant smashed-up drill of Higgins
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row