Reviewed by anil bawa (absorb.org)
if you've ever cocked about on a piece of music software for over half an hour, it will be clear to you that while some aspects of electronic composition are utterly mind-boggling, others, like magically hatching a noisy mess and calling it 'darkcore ambient', are childsplay. the level of global disk space tied up in 12-minute diy 'sound-scapes' knocked out of a native instruments package must surely rival the amount frozen in moronic cyclical fruity looped suspension.
so upon glimsping see the art-work here i'm immediately suspicious. sjn veer from great toony-goth-noise, sinister and goofy all at once, to the aforementioned facile guff. when a promising title like 'bring me the ear of celion dion' delivers no more than a murky digital mess, i think i'm within my listening rights to feel betrayed.
there's texture, yes, always the texture if nothing else, and gazing into a pool of algae for an hour can render the world luminous and vibrant, but you know what, i think i'll go elsewhere - like that fennesz record on touch, '+47 degrees....', hecker's latest full-length on mego or an untold amount of japanese otaku stuff. at least with those you don't get a wad of unwanted sci-fi sampleage thrown in like radioactive waste into your bargain bucket. pass me the chicken wings would you, i just lost my appetite for sound.
- The Doubtful Guest - Acid Sauna
- Barry Lynn - Balancing Lakes
- Tom Burbank - Famous First Words
- The Gasman - Audiogold
- Boxcutter - Glyphic
- Frog Pocket - Come On Primates Show Your Teeth!
- µ-Ziq - Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique
- Luke Vibert - Chicago,Detroit,Redruth
- - 2OO
- Luke Vibert - Mate Tron
- Syntheme - Vol.1
- Ra - Ev.Panic Redone
- Shitmat - Grooverider
- Neil Landstrumm - Restaurant Of Assassins
- Venetian Snares - Pink+Green
- MRK1 - Copyright Laws
- - Adapt
- Last Step - Last Step
- Distance - My Demons
- Julian Fane - Our New Quarters
- The Gasman - Love Collection
- Distance - Fallen (Vex'd Remix)
- FFF - The Feeling
- Distance - Traffic