Reviewed by Dominique Leone (Pitchfork)
It's always a joy to find out the music I'm jamming to was reported dead months ago. You know how it goes: you pick up a record, give it a few spins, run out to tell all your friends about it, and BAM! "Dude, wake up, nobody listens to that anymore." Apparently the only crime worse than listening to out-of-date shit is not realizing it's out of date. For non-hipsters, it can be pretty confusing, especially in fields of music (like electronica) that
Reviewed by Matt Gonzales (popmatters.com)
ike Paradinas is µ-Ziq, pronounced, simply, "music." He has released music under various appellations, among them "Jake Slazenger" and "Kid Spatula". But his primary moniker is µ-Ziq. There is no way to properly capitalize µ-Ziq. According to my PC's character map, "µ" is a micro sign. It is also the symbol for the Greek letter "mu." Hence the pronunciation, "mu-sic".
It is all very abstract.
Abstract as well is the music on µ-Ziq's
Like broken glass on the sidewalk debris and clutter also dominate the music of µ-zig. After some years without a proper release under this moniker Mike Paradinas returns with a heavy and diverse album of electronic tracks that feature it all: harsh gabber, techno, even a little 2-step and drum’n’bass – all of it in true µ-zig style which means all mixed into one. This one is not for the faint-hearted nor for the party-people. Yet the album is
Reviewed by Gary Suarez (brainwashed.com)
After several years of collaborative and one-off solo projects, Mike Paradinas finally returns to the moniker that he is most recognized for. Threatened to be his final µ-ziq album, Bilious Paths offers 53 thrilling minutes of eclectic electronics, including bits of hardcore, funk, hip-hop, 2-step, rave and, of course, drill n bass. Apparently the other artists on his Planet Mu roster have been influential to Paradinas, embedding their essence in
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row